No tags :(
Confusing affect and effect is a common mistake. Software for Writers explains what you need to know.
Affect is a verb meaning to influence, change or pretend.
- The chemicals will affect (verb meaning to change) your breathing.
- Eating before the match affected (verb meaning to influence) Karl’s performance.
- He affected (pretended to feel) indifference to her crying.
Effect is a noun meaning the result
- The effect (noun) of the chemicals was a loss of breath (the result of the change was breath loss).
Effect as a verb meaning to cause or to accomplish.
- The manager’s new measures effected (verb meaning caused) many innovative policy improvements.
How StyleWriter Helps
StyleWriter flags any use of affect or effect in your text so you can check you are always using the correct word.
Become a better writer today. StyleWriter 4 – the world’s most comprehensive copy-editing software transforms your writing by showing you how to edit like a professional editor. StyleWriter shows you editing tips, tricks and techniques to redraft your document into a model of clear, concise and readable writing.
Download our 14-day free StyleWriter trial. Use the three editions, Starter, Standard and Professional. Once you’ve chosen the edition you want, buy a license on this website.
StyleWriter – don’t just proofread your document – edit it like a professional.