StyleWriter’s unique and revolutionary writing and editing software works just like a professional, human editor. It proofreads, checks and advises you on your writing style based on your target audience and writing task.
The program proofreads a 10,000-word document in 12 seconds against a 200,000 graded word list and a 50,000-word and phrase style and usage checker. StyleWriter analyses and highlights:
- Words you can change or cut to simplify your style so your reader effortlessly understands your message.
- Long, complex and wordy sentences to help you trim the fat and write in a clear and concise style.
- Passive and hidden verbs which make writing tedious, long-winded and ambiguous.
- Sentence variety which makes writing more interesting and enjoyable to read.
- Questionable words such as spelling variants and errors that fool other proofreading tools.
- Jargon such as abbreviations and acronyms, difficult, unusual and unknown words and abstract phrases that confuse and turn off readers.
StyleWriter then highlights problems, measures and rates the readability and writing style and offers editing advice and graphs to show you where and how you can improve your draft document. StyleWriter also finds and measures words and sentences that make the reader’s job easier and more enjoyable such as interesting verbs, nouns, names, conversational style, pronouns, direct questions and short sentences. StyleWriter offers you professional advice to improve your writing skills.
StyleWriter’s graded dictionary offers a unique way to find jargon in your writing. Highlights jargon phrases, difficult words and acronyms and abbreviations to help you write in a jargon-free style.
The only editing software to guarantee you write in a jargon-free style:
- Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Jargon Phrases
- Difficult Words
- Unusual Words and Unknown Words
StyleWriter uses its graded dictionary and several style categories to highlight jargon in your writing.
StyleWriter’s standard spell checker has 200,000 words. It checks every word in your text to see if it is on the list. If it is not, StyleWriter highlights the possible error and looks up the correct spelling in Microsoft Word’s spell checker
However, conventional spell checking technology often misses many contextual spelling errors. Here are some examples of ‘words’ accepted by Microsoft Word:
- the firm’s pubic image when promoting our products in the United Sates,
- which fag to fly when the Quean opens our new offices,
- the sprit of staff when asked to forego the end-of-season bonus, ad
- the meeting to asses the effect of new laws on corporate disclosure.
StyleWriter also has a revolutionary Smart-Spell™ technology – a way of finding errors missed by conventional spell checking software. The program knows each word’s frequency of use and the probability of it being an error even if spelled correctly. The program’s Questionable category is a filter on the main spell checker word list highlighting words that often fool other spelling check software. The program’s other categories of Confused Words, Misused Words, Difficult Words, Unusual Words and Miscellaneous categories also find thousands of errors missed by conventional spelling checkers.
Standard readability formulas are simplistic and easily fooled. They only measure sentence length and word length - usually measured by the number of characters. So a conventional readability formula considers following, tomorrow and Wednesday as difficult words but after, today and Monday as easy words.
StyleWriter solves this problem by using its graded dictionary and offers meaningful statistics and ratings you can use to become a better writer.
StyleWriter has three key scores and ratings shown at the bottom of the program's screen.
- The Bog Index™ - an overall score of the clarity of your style.
- The Average Sentence Length - an important readability measure.
- The Passive Index™ - a measure of the most common writing problem.
When you edit with StyleWriter, you'll discover that the program shortens sentences and improves word choice making your writing style clear and understandable.
StyleWriter is the only professional writing and editing software you can fully customize to your writing needs. Add, remove, ignore and make exceptions to editing advice. Add new categories or turn off existing categories to suit your writing needs. Organizations can computerize their existing house style rules.
Check for your own style rules and proofreading issues:
- Choose the issues to highlight
- Add advice to StyleWriter
- User-added capitalization check
- Different checks for different audiences or writing tasks
- Delete unwanted advice
- Review changes made to StyleWriter
- Add user-defined categories
- Corporate house style service
- International versions – American, British and Australian
Organizations can also use StyleWriter with our Electronic Writing Course to train staff. StyleWriter, the plain English editor, backs up the training by showing you how to proofread and edit your writing into a model of clear English. The Electronic House Style means you can guarantee employees write dates, product names, numbers and so on consistently.
Style, clarity and readability depend on both your writing task and your audience. Writing instructions for the public must be much easier to read than writing to a specialist audience with relevant expertise. Similarly, writing a good advertisement is different to writing a student essay.
StyleWriter lets you select from 20 writing tasks and three audience types. The program then adjusts its measure and other ratings to reflect the different task and audience selected.
|Audience & Task